Re: [IPp] Re: School problems

Dear Michael,

Thank you.  I am actually keeping the corespondence about the school
situation.  When I get stories from all these wonderful people about
their situations, both good and bad, I am printing them off, and have
started a binder to keep it ALL in.  Everything from their letters to
notes I've taken after phone conversations.  I learned the hard way last
year that EVERYTHING must be documented.

Michael, if you know people who will help, please, get them in contact
with me.  Not just for Jessy, but for all the parents who do give up,
like I almost did.  I can't believe I almost gave up.  I have seen the
big picture now, I've looked past my own problems and realized that this
just can't be allowed to happen to any child.  I can use any and all
help.  I originally didn't want to go to the press about this, but it has
become more than just Jessy.  I will do whatever it takes to make a
change.  Whatever advice you have, I am grateful for.  You have been
there since the beginning, giving me advice first about how to get Jess
on the pump, and she got on it.  I have great faith in this group, that
together we can all make a difference.  I can't do it alone though, so
you have my permission to give these people my e-mail address, address,
phone number......whatever they want......I'll give them an
earfull....lol.

! Cindy, pump mom to Jessy (8) dx 1/02, Julie (3)non diab. and Trevor
(1)non diab.>From: "Michael" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp] Re: School
problems >Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:44:45 -0800 > > > Dear Cindy, > > >
>PLEASE document all of this in diary or something. You will win this
>and when you do, this is a story that is BEGGING for press coverage.
>You can not imagine what a positive impact this kind of story has for
>other struggling parents that are not fortunate enough to be members >of
our little "IP club". > >IP has a writers with press connections that can
facilitate this. > >Michael > > > > Thank you. I did take your advice.
Got in touch with an advocate > > who got me a public interest lawyer,
who, from what I hear, is > > absolutely incredible. However, the school
is not returning her > > phone calls as of today, so she is going to have
to write a letter, > > we are looking at another week at least. They get
the letter, then > > they write back, etc. etc. etc....they aren't taking
or returning > > any of my phone calls since the principal e-mailed me
what they want > > for the 504 plan. The lawyer is going to file an
"petition for > > emergency relief" so that Jess can start school along
with her > > classmates AND test her sugars in the classroom until a
suitable 504 > > plan has been developed. I am really starting to look at
the big > > picture right now. Relief for all children who have problems
in the > > school system. This just can't go on. If it weren't for you >
> POPer's egging me on and giving me incouragement, I would have given >
> in. I wonder ! how many parents end up giving in so that they don't > >
"become trouble parents". It's just not fair to the children. I > >
didn't know how or where to turn for help 7 months ago when Jess was > >
first diagnosed with diabetes, and I got walked all over by the > >
superintendent and the nurse, I ended up pulling my daughter out of > >
school for over 2 weeks until they bent. I was lucky I had a very > >
supportive teacher on our side, but unfortunately couldn't be vocal > >
about it. I think this kind of thing goes on way too often, and I > >
think our children are worth more than that! > > > > Thank you so much
for all of your advice and wisdom. It has been > > gratrefully used. > >
> > Cindy, pump mom to Jessy (8) dx 1/02, Julie (3)non diab. and Trevor >
> (1)non diab.>From: email @ redacted >Reply-To: > >
email @ redacted >To: > >
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Re: School > >
problems >Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 19:23:17 EDT > >Cindy, > >I may > > have
mentioned this before but please contact the ADA (advocacy > > >people).
They do have a lot of experience dealing with school > > issues and were
>very helpful to me in dealing with my daughter's > > school when they
put up a > > >fight about testing in the classroom. The Office of Civil
Rights (in the > > >Dept. of Education) has lawyers who are willing to
file suits against > > >specific schools or school districts on our
behalf. Not enough parents > > know >that this is an option. If you want
I can check the name of > > the lawyer I >talked to. The principal gave
in before a suite was > > filed, by the way. > >Cindy (Mom to Alex dx
10/92, pumping since > > 5/99) > >