Re: [IPp] Re: School problems

Dear Cindy,

Thank you. I did take your advice.  Got in touch with an advocate who got
me a public interest lawyer, who, from what I hear, is absolutely
incredible.  However, the school is not returning her phone calls as of
today, so she is going to have to write a letter, we are looking at
another week at least.  They get the letter, then they write back, etc.
etc. etc....they aren't taking or returning any of my phone calls since
the principal e-mailed me what they want for the 504 plan.  The lawyer is
going to file an "petition for emergency relief" so that Jess can start
school along with her classmates AND test her sugars in the classroom
until a suitable 504 plan has been developed.  I am really starting to
look at the big picture right now.  Relief for all children who have
problems in the school system.  This just can't go on.  If it weren't for
you POPer's egging me on and giving me incouragement, I would have given
in.  I wonder ! how many parents end up giving in so that they don't
"become trouble parents".  It's just not fair to the children.  I didn't
know how or where to turn for help 7 months ago when Jess was first
diagnosed with diabetes, and I got walked all over by the superintendent
and the nurse, I ended up pulling my daughter out of school for over 2
weeks until they bent.  I was lucky I had a very supportive teacher on
our side, but unfortunately couldn't be vocal about it.  I think this
kind of thing goes on way too often, and I think our children are worth
more than that!

Thank you so much for all of your advice and wisdom.  It has been
gratrefully used.

email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Re: School
problems >Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 19:23:17 EDT > >Cindy, > >I may have
mentioned this before but please contact the ADA (advocacy >people). They
do have a lot of experience dealing with school issues and were >very
helpful to me in dealing with my daughter's school when they put up a
>fight about testing in the classroom. The Office of Civil Rights (in the
>Dept. of Education) has lawyers who are willing to file suits against
>specific schools or school districts on our behalf. Not enough parents
know >that this is an option. If you want I can check the name of the
lawyer I >talked to. The principal gave in before a suite was filed, by
the way. > >Cindy (Mom to Alex dx 10/92, pumping since 5/99)