Re: [IPp] re: School Problems/let's change it

Dear Shelly,

Wonderful!  Can you please describe to me how you make it work so well
with your school?  Can I have information that may be able to be used,
ie:  I need my child to test in the classroom, so they set up an area for
him to do it.....etc.  If I show them that schools do go out of there way
to help a child with diabetes, and it works well without complications,
maybe that will help.  If you can, please write about it in great detail,
with your permission for me to use it as an example.  Maybe you could
even get your school involved with it, if they can, and have time.
Please let me know.  The more good examples I have, the better it will
look to show how well it can work.  Thank you.

(1)non diab.>From: Shelly Van Dyke >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: POP List >Subject: [IPp] re:
School Problems/let's change it >Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:44:56 -0700
(PDT) > ><< >Any experiences you have had with the school sytem, good or
bad would be >helpful. Good can show these people that it can work, bad
can show them >that there needs to be change. Thank you.>>>>>>> > >Cindy,
I'm so glad you added the part about including the good experiences. >As
we as parents probably all know, positive reinforcement is much more
>powerful in the long-term than negative reinforcement. Our school
district, >and in particular our elementary school, has done nothing
"wrong" in treating >our son - they've been wonderful to work with, we
trust them, and we >have a great relationship working with them on
diabetes care as well as in >other areas of our kids' education (active
in PTA, etc.). The last thing >we want is for the people who care for our
son during the school day is >to be afraid of us - we want them to fear
diabetes with us, and to do what >we ask. So far, we've been well
rewarded. I know you situation is different, >and I hope that improves
soon. But I think these positive examples would >go a long way to telling
schools how to behave, instead of just what not to >do. > >Thanks for
working so hard for all of us. >Shelly V, Austin, TX, mom to Luke, 7,
dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 > > > >