Re: [IPp] re: School Problems/let's change it

Dear Renee,

May I copy what you wrote to put in my file?  It is an incredible idea,
and you always catch more flies with honey.  Like I said, I want good
ideas too, so that I can show them that it can work.  Thank you.

email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp] re: School
Problems/let's change it >Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:56:54 EDT > >In a
message dated 8/16/02 11:45:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>email @ redacted writes: > > > > But I think these positive examples
would > > go a long way to telling schools how to behave, instead of just
what not to > > do. > > > > > >Shelley: > One of the things I did in the
Phila chapter of JDRF was to initiate a >Nurses Appreciation certificate
which my hubby & I (non-creative types!) made >up on the computer,
literally cutting & pasting the JDRF logo from envelopes >onto the
certificate! LOL..It had the child's name, school name, nurse's name >& 3
or 4 key specifics of how she had helped the child, such as maintaining
>contact with the parent, attending support groups on her own time,
changing >the child's lunch schedule to meet his needs, interacting
personally with >each teacher, advocating for the child's best interest
etc. I did a mailing >to our Moms Brunch Bunch offering this option for
those who wanted to thank >their schools, and I received 17 requests. The
results were VERY favorable - >some of the nurses cried, some of the kids
felt very "special" after the >awards assembly as other classmates
clamored to "know more", and one Catholic >school featured the
recognition in a paragraph in their parish bulletin, >mailed to 3000
families. I am now trying to get JDRF to implement this >nationally next
year as a template that all chapters could download, & >personalize as
needed. We also purchased inexpensive frames, but that expense >could be
handled by the families who will be honoring their respective school
>nurse. With these awards prominently displayed in nurses' offices, I am
>hoping that other parents, teachers, nurses etc will see it & be
encouraged >to want to know what they did that was so special to have
been thus >recognized!! >Regards >Renee (Melissa's pump mom)