504 vs IEP was Re: HELP!!!!! was Re: [IPp] re: Noah's 504 plan

In a message dated 8/15/2002 7:11:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> An Iep holds alot more teeth than a 504. The school recerives no federal
> Money for a 504. A school that does not comply withan IEP can lose money,
> accreditation, and face penalties. Ane IEP is much more powerful than I
> 504.
> I teach children with IEP's and I have to follow everything that is written
> down to the letter.
> Robyn

I know that schools recieve EXTRA money for an IEP and if they don't follow
the IEP they can loose that extra money.  BUT with a 504 they are at risk of
loosing the money that they already get from the government. Here is a quote
straight from the ADA's websight.  <A HREF="http://www.diabetes.org/main/community/advocacy/504plan.jsp">Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of
Section 504 protects individuals with disabilities against discrimination in
any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. This includes
all public schools and day care centers and those private schools and centers
that receive federal funds. To qualify for protection under Section 504, a
child must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one
or more major life activities (such as learning), have a record of such an
impairment, or be regarded as having such an impairment. Parents of
qualifying children have the right to develop a <A HREF="http://www.diabetes.org/main/community/advocacy/504plan.jsp">Section 504 plan </A>with their
child's school. Schools can lose federal funding if they do not comply with
this law.

So technically a 504 has more teeth.  With the IEP they only loose their
extra money.  With a 504 they can loose all of their money.