Re: [IPp] Non diabetic siblings

Dear Carol,

I finally talked to her doc.  He wants me to take her up to CHOP (Jessy's
hospital) for counceling of siblings with diabetes.  He says it is
possible that she is ADHD, but she is kind of too young to really test
her for that.  However, he says this behavior is not normal.  DUH!  I
never would have called him if I thought it WAS normal.  Anyway, he is
sending us to CHOP because my insurance won't pay for it otherwise.  (or
only a percentage anyway), and there are no good children's pshycologists
in our area.  Philly is about an hour away (give or take depending on
traffic)  I am just exasperated right now.......dealing with Jessy's
diabetes, fighting with the school, and now this.  Why can't anything
ever just go smoothly?  I will just say some prayers for strength and
guidance and try to just take one day at a time.  Thanks for your advice,
it is sooooo appreciated.

(1)non diab.>From: "Carol Mulligan" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: >Subject: Re: [IPp] Non
diabetic siblings >Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:58:03 -0700 > > > Dear
Carol, > > > > ALWAYS on the go. ALWAYS making a mess (I can't keep up
with her, I just > > break down and cry sometimes because of the messes,
today it was purple > > fingernail polish on our stairway banister)
Doesn't want to go to sleep, > > doesn't want to go to sleep, then she
just lays down and is out cold, but > > still does not sleep through the
night. She screams and cries the entire > > time she is in time out. When
I tell her to clean up her messes, she > > says, "no, you". She is highly
intelligent though. Are you thinking > > ADHD? I've mentioned it to the
doc, we even had her adnoids x rayed. > > Please tell me what you think.
Trevor > > (1)non diab.>From: "Carol Mulligan" >Reply-To: > > > >Cindy, >
>YES, YES, YES, that's exactly what I'm thinking. My son Devin was
diagnosed >with ADHD when he was 5, but I remember those early clues. He
was exactly >the way you describe your daughter. I would have to hold him
and lay with >him in bed for him to take a nap. He would go, go, go until
finally out >cold, but then get up in the middle of the night and either
get into food or >a mess, or both. People think that if a child is ADHD
then it affects >intelligence, but these kids can either be very
intellegent or have learning >disabilities or anywhere in between.
Dangerous, risk-taking behavior is, >also, a symptom. Devin has had
several "accidents", plus he picks on his >siblings when bored. > >I
would find a psychiatrist or psychologist in your area who deals with