Re: [IPp] Re:age for site changes

Amen to that!

email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Re:age for site
changes >Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:27:44 EDT > >Susan B asks ? How >old
are most 'kids' when they start changing their own sites? I'm sure it
>varies > >My son was diagnosed at 10, and from the first finger stick,
he has done all >his care himself. Granted, the first few weeks of
fingersticks and >injections took 20min. sometimes before he finally
pushed the button, but he >did it himself. Now, at 13 (almost 14), he
does everything himself. His doc >and endo know him well, any procedure
that has to be done, Jake does a >portion if not all of it. This year, he
gave his own flu shot, and injected >the xylocaine needed to freeze a
couple of warts on his hands. I truly >believe, that with Diabetes, the
kids do not have control over this disease. >They gain control over the
treatment, but this disease makes the kids go >through procedures and
decisions we as adults, would have troubles with. I >think that Jake does
his own procedures, so that he can have control over >some of the things
in his life. My heart goes out to all these kids/adults >that have to
battle Diabetes, you are all brave! My thanks go out to Jake's >doc and
endo, for having the patience to deal with one hard headed, strong