[IPp] Re:age for site changes

Susan B asks ?  How
old are most 'kids' when they start changing their own sites?  I'm sure it

My son was diagnosed at 10, and from the first finger stick, he has done all
his care himself.  Granted, the first few weeks of fingersticks and
injections took 20min. sometimes before he finally pushed the button, but he
did it himself.  Now, at 13 (almost 14), he does everything himself.  His doc
and endo know him well, any procedure that has to be done, Jake does a
portion if not all of it.  This year, he gave his own flu shot, and injected
the xylocaine needed to freeze a couple of warts on his hands.   I truly
believe, that with Diabetes, the kids do not have control over this disease.
They gain control over the treatment, but this disease makes the kids go
through procedures and decisions we as adults, would have troubles with.  I
think that Jake does his own procedures, so that he can have control over
some of the things in his life.  My heart goes out to all these kids/adults
that have to battle Diabetes, you are all brave!  My thanks go out to Jake's
doc and endo, for having the patience to deal with one hard headed, strong
willed young man with a smile on their face!

Judy, mom to Jake, pumping since 8/01