Re: [IPp] Fighting site change?

In a message dated 8/12/2002 6:24:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I am new here and you have all been very helpful. Now I need special help.
> My son is 5 and has been pumping for almost 2 weeks now. When will he stop
> fighting site changes? He screams and cries until we do it, then he is fine
> right away? He knows it does not hurt much, he is just still scared. Any
> advice would be helpful.

Hi Shari,

My son just turned four & we've been pumping for two weeks also!  Whereas he
doesn't fight it (in fact sometimes he seems not to notice), other times he
is very much aware of the pinch.  We have always had him lay down on comfy
pillows & watch a favorite video.  Dad provides distraction, talking to him
about the tape, etc. or singing along.  My son loves Thomas the Tank Engine,
so we put on a Thomas tape.

I would also suggest Ela-max cream, if the anticipation of pain seems to be
the culprit.  It's cheaper than Emla, and our pump trainer recomended it for
the first few changes.  She said it's available over the counter.
Hope this helps!

Marie  :)
Mom to Nikkolas (Nikko) 7/98
Dx'd 3/01