RE: [IPp] Kids doing site changes

Dear Robyn,

You are absolutely right.  When your son must do it himself, he will be
able to, it is so important not to rush them (and it is certainly still
nice to be needed)  My daughter does it, but that is just her way of
staying in control of the situation, and I respect her for that.  She has
a friend, who is 12, who still doesn't give herself injections.  What
ever works!  Thanks for sharing.

(1)non diab.>From: >Reply-To: email @ redacted >To:
>Subject: RE: [IPp] Kids doing site changes >Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002
15:25:22 -0700 > >Okay group, >My son is 16 and still does not do his own
insert sites. He gets everything reay and primes the pump and prepares
his site but he just can't push that button. We are going to work on that
this year because he will have overnights for band. He has always let us
know when he was ready to do things on his own. he only gave himself
injections afew times because he was not comfortable. I figure he will
have to take care of himself for the rest of his life so I don't mind the
time I take now. It really is an individual thing. We have not pushed the
issue. Each parent needs to decide on thier own adn based on thier
child's attitude. Thanks for letting me share. > >Robyn: Mom to Amanda
20, Kyle 16 dx at 6, carolyn 12, and Jeni 10. > > > > >-----Original
Message----- >From: "email @ redacted" on behalf of
"email @ redacted" >Sent: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:02:22 EDT >To:
"email @ redacted" >Subject: Re: [IPp] Kids doing
site changes > >In a message dated 8/10/2002 12:46:09 AM Eastern Standard
Time, >email @ redacted writes: > > > > I am just curious how you all
knew > > when >it was time to have your kids do it on their own. >Sarah
:) > > >---------------------------------------------------------- >for
HELP or > > > >Sarah, > >Every kid/parent team is different, of course,
but I have found that, when my >son is ready, he makes the decision OR
takes over the responsibility. He was >leery about the pump when he first
learned about but then made up his mind >that it was the right decision
for him. He used EMLA at first and he decided >when he didn't need it
anymore. Just about two months ago, he decided on his >own that it was
time for him to remove his own sites. He's not ready to >insert them yet,
but I know he'll tell me when he is. > >Just our experience. Hope it
helps. > >Janice, proud mom of Paul, DX at 20 months, now 8 and pumping
since July 2000 >at 6