Re: [IPp] How do you aply Emla cream?

Dear Dianne,

We use the emla cream for every site change.  We put about a dime size of
1/4 inch thick cream on the site area (we clean it first with alcohol)
then cover it with IV3000 tape.  Then in about 20 minutes I ask her if
she is numb, she touches it and sometimes she is.  It can take up to an
hour,  but mostly about 1/2 hour.  Anyway, she takes the IV3000 tape off,
cleans then dries (by blowing on it) the site.  It leaves a little white
mark on Jessy, so knowing exactly where to inject is a breeze.  We tried
it once without the cream, and it "hurt her too bad and for too long (I
swear it is psycological.......but who am I to argue).  If my baby swears
by it, then so do I!  Whatever works.  Good luck and happy inserting.

>From: Dianne Shekell >Reply-To: email @ redacted
>To: POP , Insulin Pumpers >Subject: [IPp] How do you aply Emla cream?
>Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 21:36:28 -0400 > >I'm going to be trying Emla
cream. I thought the doctor said to apply a >small amount. In the
directions it says to apply a thick layer over where >the set will be
going in. > My question is to those who have used it. Can you tell me the
proceedure >that you use? Do you use a small or larger amount? How large
of an area do >you cover? Do you cover the area that you applied the
cream on with a >bandaid? (in the directions, it says to cover the area
after applying and >wait 1 hour, wash off the cream and insert). >Thanks
for any info. >Dianne, Mom to Johnny 10