[IPp] Kids doing site changes

I was wondering at what age your children were when they started inserting on
their own?  Matthew will be six in a month and I am trying to get him to at
least push the button of the sil-serter.  Now when I insert I count to three
then push it in.  I try to explain to him that if he pushes the button, he
will be in control of when it goes in, and I won't have to count to three.
He says he will  never do it, that I will do it even when he gets big. He is
adorable!!  I dont want to rush him, I am just curious how you all knew when
it was time to have your kids do it on their own.
Sarah :)