[IPp] Re: IDEA vs. 504

>Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 10:25:32 -0700
>From: <email @ redacted>
>Subject: RE: [IPp] Re: IDEA vs. 504
>Yes, a 504 plan is best but schools receive no federal monies for
>children who fall under 504.

Hi Robyn,

That is what I believe...that a Section 504 is best to have.  I
wouldn't let the fact that schools receive no federal funding
interfere with my request and right to have one.  They cannot deny
you a 504.  Parents usually have to request it, though...the schools
don't usually openly offer it for some of the reasons below:

1) They receive no federal funds for a 504, but
2) They jeopardize losing federal funds when a 504 contract is not
complied with
3) A 504 is broader based
4) Parents/students may file a complaint with the courts for a
compliance violation of 504
5) The Rehabilitation Act authorizes a court to award the prevailing
party attorney's fees
6) Schools found guilty of a 504 violation may be forced to pay
monetary and/or personal damages

Cindy, mom to 15 y/o Noah