Re: [IPp] Re: pop-digest V1 #146

In a message dated 8/2/02 10:17:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> But that one time...for a very important test...we had no problem
> whatsoever.

    It only takes the proverbial "one time". Melissa started college this
past fall & never bothered to register with the Office of Student
Disabilities (which includes students with chronic illnesses that can "flare
up"). One morning she woke up very low (in her single room!!!) & called me in
a panic ( she gets weepy & wants Mommy when she's really low). It took a long
time for her to feel OK, so she missed her early bio lab. When she turned in
the lab report late, the professor wanted "no excuses" - she simply deducted
50% of the grade! Melissa chose not to fight it, since she was already
overwhelmed with imminent final exams....BUT...she's older & wiser, and
intends to "cover her bases" this year with documentation, in the event the
problem ever recurs.
   Also, while perusing the college's office of disabilities page, she found
that there was a support group for collegians with chronic illnesses that she
could have participated in, & probably would have found some much-needed
Renee (pump mom to Melissa)