Re: [IPp] re: Noah's 504 plan

Dear Sarah,

Your nurse is starting to sound like our old nurse.......but the other
diabetic kid doesn't do that, that really isn't necessary, why do you
have to recheck for a 70, that isn't dangerously low?.....Nip this in the
bud right now.  I refuse to let anyone ever say that kind of crap to me
ever again!  You tell that woman that you are that child's mother and you
will deem fit when your child needs to be tested, end of story!  It helps
that you are getting orders from your doc, though, they HAVE to follow
them, or they are in BIG trouble, I found that out the hard way last

Good luck!

>From: email @ redacted >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp] re: Noah's 504
plan >Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:10:12 EDT > >Michael, > >I have a question
for ya.... >My son is currently attending a summer academy at a local
elementary school, >as he will be repeating kindergarten. The kids only
have a snack at the >academy as it is only 1/2 days. I have requested
that the school nurse test >him before he leaves to come home on the bus.
The bus is an hour long ride >and I want to be sure he will be safe.
Well, so far, all week he has been >low at that time (50's) she has been
giving him a juice and then sending him >home on the bus. Well, I just
found out that he has been having gym class and >this is most likely the
reason for his lows. So I requested that she test him >right after gym
class. Her response was....I dont think that is necessary, >maybe you
should reduce his insulin or give an extra snack and not cover it. >I
dont feel doing any extra testing is the answer. My response....I am
sorry >but I want to catch the lows before they get too low. And you need
to test >when I say to test. >Now, I am in the middle of waiting to hear
from our doctor, I am hoping she >will fax over an order saying that the
nurse is to do what I tell her to do, >and too bad she doesn't agree. The
nurse said there is another diabetic >child also attending and her
parents dont have the nurse test at all while >she is there. Well, I dont
care about the other kid, I care about MINE, and >if the other parents
want to take a chance that their daughter wont be either >high or low
that is up to them....I keep my son in very tight control, which >is why
our HbA1c's are always in the 6's. >How can I make this nurse listen to
me, do what I want done for MY child???? >I just hope this is not the
start to an upcoming problem when school starts >again. >Thanks. >Sarah