Re: [IPp] re: Noah's 504 plan

I have a question for ya....
My son is currently attending a summer academy at a local elementary school,
as he will be repeating kindergarten. The kids only have a snack at the
academy as it is only 1/2 days.  I have requested that the school nurse test
him before he leaves to come home on the bus. The bus is an hour long ride
and I want to be sure he will be safe.  Well, so far, all week he has been
low at that time (50's) she has been giving him a juice and then sending him
home on the bus. Well, I just found out that he has been having gym class and
this is most likely the reason for his lows. So I requested that she test him
right after gym class. Her response was....I dont think that is necessary,
maybe you should reduce his insulin or give an extra snack and not cover it.
I dont feel doing any extra testing is the answer.  My response....I am sorry
but I want to catch the lows before they get too low.  And you need to test
when I say to test.
Now, I am in the middle of waiting to hear from our doctor, I am hoping she
will fax over an order saying that the nurse is to do what I tell her to do,
and too bad she doesn't agree.  The nurse said there is another diabetic
child also attending and her parents dont have the nurse test at all while
she is there. Well, I dont care about the other kid, I care about MINE, and
if the other parents want to take a chance that their daughter wont be either
high or low that is up to them....I keep my son in very tight control, which
is why our HbA1c's are always in the 6's.
How can I make this nurse listen to me, do what I want done for MY child????
I just hope this is not the start to an upcoming problem when school starts
Mom to Matthew 5yrs old...Paradigm Pumper and to Victoria 7yrs old, non-d