[IPp] JDRF Online Response

Dear Sonal,

I am a JDRF volunteer for online requests, and although I cannot give medical
advice I hope I can help you. I am the mother of a 16 year old girl who has
been pumping insulin for five years now.
In my opinion, the main things to remember when using the pump are :

1. There is an excellent process for transitioning from injections/pens to a
pump that your daughters endocrinologist or Nurse Educator (specializing in
Type 1 Diabetes) can take you through to ensure a smooth transition. It is a
major adjustment, so please make sure you have their guidance with this.

2. All the essential settings  insulin to carb ratios, basal rates, etc -
must be determined by your teens endocrinologist or Nurse Educator. If there
are problems keeping your daughters  blood glucose (BG) readings between 4
and 7, contact them immediately. They will want to review her settings and BG
readings, and know how to adjust them properly. Guesswork can be dangerous to
your daughter. Stay in frequent touch with the medical professionals while you
are adjusting to life with the pump. They will also be able to help you set up
alternate programs for special situations when your daughters insulin needs
vary: e.g. before or during her periods, when she is physically active, sick
days, etc.

3. I strongly suggest using the support offered by the company manufacturing
the pump (in this case, Medtronic). They know the pump best, and can answer
any concerns or questions you have about pump functions, and how to navigate
through the menus, etc.

4. I have found this web forum very useful: www.parents-of-pumpers.org.
 email @ redacted
You can post questions about pump use and the group is very experienced and
gives very useful advice from pump users.

5. Also, if you haven't already found it, you might want to join
typeonenation.org . It is a JDRF Type 1 forum site where you can join groups,
post questions, and get support and info from Type 1s from North America and
beyond. You may find useful anecdotal information on pump use.

I hope this helpful, and that your daughter is happy with the pump! Please
feel free to contact me if I can be of a yn further help.
Regards,
Mariam Bernstein
Mother of Miranda, age 16, dx Nov 2005
ODST Online Volunteer