Re: [IPp] Contact sports

I know Megan has experienced the same issues with just general rough
playing, trampoline, rolling down grassy knolls, swings, climbing trees.
You can tramatize the pump site if you hit it just right however we can
usually tell because blood will show up in the tube, even just a tiny amount
is noticable and that could certainly impact the insulin getting into the
site.  Disconnecting for more then an hour is a fact of life for us during
the summer months and even though she is physically active during that time
we always seem to need to "catch up" on some of the basal she has missed.
My endo has given me ideas to play with to see what works best, Because of
the physical activity it is hard to pre-bolus some of the basal prior to
disconnecting the pump.This was one of his suggestions if she was at the
higher end of her range prior to disconnect.  The other thing is to make
sure your tubing hasn't lost its "priming", doing a fixed prime prior to
reconnect until insulin comes through the needle will tell you the tubing is
full again.  If her post activity BS is reasonable then I bolus a unit or
two to catch her back up and monitor her BS in an hour or so.  Additionally,
depending on his BS prior to activity you may need to bring him up
especially for the level of play you reference.  The New York State
Department of Heath Children with Diabetes Resource Guide for Families of
Children with Diabetes recommends the following guidelines for BS ranges
prior to activity: (you would not bolus for these carbs)

Type of Activity            If BS prior to activity is:    then eat the
following Carbs before activity:
Short duration                less then 100                    15 grams of
carbs
(less than 30 minutes)    greater then 100                no carbs necessary

Moderation duration     less than 100                    25-50 grams of
carbs plus a protein source
(1 hour)                        100-180                            15 grams
of carbs
                                    180-240                            no
carbs necessary

Strenuous                    Less then 100                    50 grams of
carb plus a protein source
(1-2 hours)                  100-180                                25-50
grams plus a protein source
                                    180-240                            15
grams of carbs

This is in a table format so I hope it reads okay for you.  As for the site
getting ripped out we use tegaderm patches over Megan's insertion site, we
change it often even though we might not be changing the site.  You could
use it for sports only for the piece of mind.  (My insurance covers the
patches which is good because they are a bit on the pricing side).  You can
buy a ten pack in most larger pharmacies to try it out.  I hope this helps.
Suzanne