[IPp] Contact sports

> I think it's more to do with the jewelry getting caught or tangled on
> clothing, equipment, other players, etc. and potentially hurting
> either the wearer or someone else.

That is exactly the problem. Rings, braclets, earings, etc... have
the potential to remove a lot of flesh , etc... when moving fast past
the human anatomy. Hard objects have the potential to vastly increase
the amount of damage to your vascular system (deep in the muscles)
when there is a collision. For this last case I have some personal
experience -- having been hit in the quad by a knee and having my leg
bleed out internally for several weeks. Lots of swelling, ugly purple
bags of blood under the skin, etc... Compounding such an incident by
making a hard object like a pump the concentrator of force in an
impact can do a LOT of damage. You might not think that, but a point
collision with a hard object can seriously damage an large vein or
artery with potentially life threatening consequences if there is a
bad bleed. I have seen a persons leg (shin) broken in two places by a
misplace kick. Both of these last accidents occurred in normal soccer
play, no rough stuff and without "hard" objects (like a pump) being
involved. In both cases is was circumstances of motion in a play and
being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In the case of the broken
leg, both players went for the ball and one got it.... the other's
kick at the ball caught the other fellow's leg at a bad time and
place. In my injury, I was kneed by my own goaly as we both rushed
toward an opponent that passed between us an instant before we
collided.

In 12 years of watching my daughters play soccer, I've seen kids
(girls) injured in soccer games because they forgot to take their
earrings off (coach forgot too and ref didn't check). the poor kids
had their earlobes torn open when the earrings were violently torn
away from their ears in a collision.

The rules that the refs and coaches put in place about jewelry,
pumps, and other extraneous things that hang on our bodies are not
whimsical, they are there to protect the players from injury that
WILL happen eventually if these precautions are not taken. Don't take
these rules lightly or blow them off as over cautious.

One more incident that is not sports related but similar in nature.
This happened to one of my fathers friends during WW2. There is/was a
rule for military pilots that they not where jewelery on their hands
or arms. The reason is that if they slip climbing into the cockpit
and fall... catching the ring or watch, or whatever.......

Friend slipped while getting into the cockpit of a fighter, caught
his wedding ring on the lip of the canopy and had the meat sliced
completely off his finger leaving only the bony skeleton. Needless to
say he lost his finger. Later, my dad did the same stupid thing but
managed to grab the ladder and pull himself back up (you think he
would have learned from his friend).

The message I'm trying to impart is that pumps and other
accoutraments are NOT SAFELY worn while playing contact sports. That
includes just about any sport where there are two opposing teams and
a ball. Kids and adults will both go all out to win and they WILL run
into each other every now and then.... enough said.

Michael