From: Scott <email @ redacted>

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:21:43
To:email @ redacted
Subject: [IPp] CGMS Selection Questions

Hi All,

Just recently joined the group and have learned much already just from
reading the posts so far.

My daughter Riley is 5 years old, dxd in 2006, and is currently on the
OmniPod since May 2007.  We are considering CGMS for her, as her blood
sugars are very irregular - swings from 250+ to below 60 are common from
day to day.

We have done some research on the different systems out there, but have
a few questions regarding which CGMS to purchase.

(1) It appears that the MiniMed Guardian and the Navigator are the only
two with predictive alarming.  It seems that this capability would be
invaluable for being preemptive in stopping highs and lows.  Is there a
reason why folks would choose the Dexcom Seven over other CGMS systems
that have this capability?

(2) The MiniMed Guardian is the only system in which the transmitter
stores data if the receiver is not within range.  For those people using
other systems, is it an issue for you that segments of data might be
lost because the receiver is out of range?

(3) The startup time on the Navigator is 10 hours, as compared to 2
hours for the others.  This is quite a gap - is the 10 hour startup time
a significant issue for those on the Navigator?

(4) My daughter is quite thin, and we are concerned about the available
"real estate" on her body between the OmniPod and a CGMS
sensor/transmitter.  Has this been an issue for any parents of smaller
children, and if so, do folks have any recommendations as far as what
system to purchase in this regard?

These are a few issues I've noticed - please feel free to highlight
likes/dislikes that you've noticed in your CGMS.

Thank you for any info you could provide.

Scott and Steph, parents of Riley (5) and Wren (4)