Re: [IPp] more offter site changes / stubborn high counts

 We have been told by our endo to change my daughter's site (age 4) every 48
hours. We do. He says that it is easier for hard spots to form in little kids -
so to help slow/eliminate that, we says to change site every 48 hours. She has
no hard spots, been pumping since July 2002.Bonnie

 email @ redacted wrote:Insulin Pumpers is made possible by your tax
deductible contributions.

Hello

I was told by my Endo to do a site change every other day, and to
change reservoir with every site change. I wounder why Justin is diffent? I
pay 15% of Justin pump supplies, and it would be a lot less expensive if I
could keep his site in a bit longer as well as, change the reservoir less
often, but I am scared that he will get an infection. Maybe Justin is
different because his set is inserted under his diaper, and there is more
chance of infection? Also, I was told to change batteries every week.

Gina, Mom of Justin 2 years old, pumping

We get anywhere from 2 - 3 weeks from our batteries (Energizer) with the
remote function on. When we get a low battery alarm I change it that day,
but I don't worry about it until I have the time to change it. We were told
if we don't get 1-2 weeks per battery to call within 30 days and we will
get a new pump. After 30 it is a refurbished one. We also only change our
reservoir every second site change and I still throw out insulin but I have
run out once so I would rather throw some out then take a chance. All you
do is change your site normally then prime the site. You don't need to do
anything with the reservoir.

Hope that helps!

Debbie mom t Megan, 7 dx'd 08/01/00, pumping since 08/01/01, Madison, 5 and
Gillian, 1

Fayeron Morrison wrote:

> OK, I'd love to have some input. Last night was the night of the
> stubborn high. Basically, despite consistent bolusing every 2 hours,
> Alex stayed at 275-305 the bulk of the night. Around 5:30 am he went to
> 68, I treated very mildly, he woke up at 120. At lunch time he was 375.
> He just left for baseball, 201-which is ok. Now, old pros out there,
> here are my questions:
>
> 1. I don't think the site is technically bad, but it seems like
> something must be going on with the absorption. I'm thinking when he
> gets back I should probably change the site. It would be a day early
> and I'm out of EMLA, so I don't really want to...what do you all think?
>
> 2. Even at the end of 3 days , we throw out alot of insulin. If you
> change the site early, do you just throw out more insulin or is there
> anyway to use what is left in the reservoir? If I change his site
> today, I will throw out 48ml of insulin-what a waste. I keep trying to
> fill the reservoir with less but I hate it when I get those low
> reservoir messages.
>
> 3. Also, unrelated, has anybody figured out how long you really have
> when you get a low battery alarm on the paradigm? Ours needs to be
> changed every 5 days or so. Does that seem right?
>
> thanks!
>
> Fayeron
> mom to Alex (10, dx'd 8/01, pumping paradigm 4/03), Zack (10), Josh (4),
> wife to Bob for 15 years

Bonnie
Mom to Rachel, 4 diagnosed 2/28/02, pumping Paradigm, 7/12/02,
   pumping COZMO 2/08/03, using diluted Novolog
David 15, non-d (bass player-punk band - doing gigs at teen birthday parties)
Wife to Phil
Mesa, Arizona            email @ redacted