Re: [IPp] Re: delayed response to exercise

 I set Rachel's basal for 95% when she is at preschool or just playing outside
with her friends, and take off the pump for swimming. After swimming (other
activities don't affect her as much, she's only 4 so she's not playing
basketball etc.) for the next 24 hours I increase her insulin carb ratio by
about 10-15% depending on how long she swam for. Since we live in Arizona, the
swimming season is about 9 months long, so this is a very big issue for us. I
don't let her in the pool under 200 though because she drops like a lead balloon
when swimming. Bonnie

 Charlotte Holt <email @ redacted> wrote:Insulin Pumpers is made possible by
your tax deductible contributions.

We deal with the same phenomenon with my soon-to-be-nine-year-old,
Annie. She has a rigorous swim practice each afternoon at 4:00, may go to
bed with a perfect nighttime number, and then her BG takes a nosedive at
midnight or later. For her, the delayed response to exercise can happen 6
to 12 hours after swimming or playing hard! So far we've dealt with it by
just checking often and correcting with tablets or juice as needed--and by
sometimes feeding her a high-fat/high-protein supper so the delayed
digestion happens at about the same time as the exercise effect.

That's one reason we're switching to the Animas this month. We'll try to
have one basal program for her swimming days and another for more sedentary
days. We used the temporary basal decrease on her H-Tron a few times, but
not very successfully--I could never quite work out the timing since a
particular basal rate change doesn't affect BG's until two or more hours
later. Taking into account supper carbs, fat +/or protein consumed, supper
bolus, hours of exercise, hours since exercise, sleep-induced growth
hormone rush, AND delayed response to basal insulin, there are just too
many variables for my math-challenged brain to deal with!

We're going to the Labor Day weekend CWD conference in Baltimore on
diabetes and exercise where we might learn more strategies. Pumping is
wonderful--but it sure isn't an exact science.

Hoping the new Animas helps with some of this,

Charlotte (mom to Annie, dx'd Xmas '97, pumping w/Htron since 3/00, and
starting Animas on Thursday!)

Mom to Rachel, 4 diagnosed 2/28/02, pumping Paradigm, 7/12/02,
   pumping COZMO 2/08/03, using diluted Novolog
David 15, non-d (bass player-punk band - doing gigs at teen birthday parties)
Wife to Phil
Mesa, Arizona            email @ redacted

Do you Yahoo!?