[IPp] Re: delayed response to exercise

We deal with the same phenomenon with my soon-to-be-nine-year-old,
Annie.  She has a rigorous swim practice each afternoon at 4:00, may go to
bed with a perfect nighttime number, and then her BG takes a nosedive at
midnight or later.  For her, the delayed response to exercise can happen 6
to 12 hours after swimming or playing hard!  So far we've dealt with it by
just checking often and correcting with tablets or juice as needed--and by
sometimes feeding her a high-fat/high-protein supper so the delayed
digestion happens at about the same time as the exercise effect.

That's one reason we're switching to the Animas this month.  We'll try to
have one basal program for her swimming days and another for more sedentary
days.  We used the temporary basal decrease on her H-Tron a few times, but
not very successfully--I could never quite work out the timing since a
particular basal rate change doesn't affect BG's until two or more hours
later.  Taking into account supper carbs, fat +/or protein consumed, supper
bolus, hours of exercise, hours since exercise, sleep-induced growth
hormone rush, AND delayed response to basal insulin, there are just too
many variables for my math-challenged brain to deal with!

We're going to the Labor Day weekend CWD conference in Baltimore on
diabetes and exercise where we might learn more strategies.  Pumping is
wonderful--but it sure isn't an exact science.

Hoping the new  Animas helps with some of this,

Charlotte (mom to Annie, dx'd Xmas '97, pumping w/Htron since 3/00, and
starting Animas on Thursday!)