Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:24:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bonnie Silvester <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IPp] testing basals in 18 mo

  My daughter pumps using Cozmo - we use U25, but I will give you all
totals in
"U100" terms, so not to confuse you.She weighs 39 pounds, total daily
basal is
3.1 units, total daily dosage is about 9 or 10 units. So, her basal is
low by anyone's definition. "Supposedly" it is to be 50% basal, 50%
bolus, but
could be more like 40% basal and 60% in toddler/pre-schoolers. We have
tested EXTENSIVELY and this is where she needs to be. One unit of U100
her down about 200 points. One thing the books don't really tell you is
when the BASAL rate is lower during the day, it takes less insulin to
bring down
a high and vice versa (higher BASAL rate, takes more insulin to bring
down a
high). This has been confirmed to me by several parents as well as our
endo -
but it's so darn confusing, let's just say that it's "about 200 points"
for 1
unit.Insulin carb ratio for breakfast: 1:16 lunch 1:24 !
   dinner 1:24 night snack 1:28 pizza bolus 1:24 (50% now, 50% over 2
lows, 1 carb brings her up about 8 or 9 points.Hope this helps.Bonnie