[IPp] Re:We haven't been able to test basal rates!

   Dear Ellen,

I also have a 7 year old daughter who started on the pump at the end of
January. I don't know if I can help you much or give you advice, but I am
writing just to let you know you are not alone. We have also had trouble
getting basals set, even at night. Recently however, Hannah (my daughter), has
not been having a snack before she goes to bed. This has helped us immensely,
because we can check her sugar at 7:00 pm (which is usually the time she has
her bedtime snack), then again at about 9:00 pm. Since she does not receive a
bolus at bedtime, the reading we get at 9:00 pm will help us know if her sugar
has gone up or down or stayed the same.For example, Hannah eats her supper at
about 5:00 pm and gets her bolus (and correction or whatever). Then she has no
bedtime snack at 7:00 pm and her sugar is 6.6. She is in bed by 7:30 or
8:00pm. Then we checked her sugar at 9:00 pm, and it was 15.1. Even if it
happened one night, I took that as something significant enough to think
about. SO we tried to do the same thing the next night, and it turned out that
it happened again. So we decided to put her basal up (starting at 7:00 pm
until 11:00 pm). This actually has worked for a few nights. We always thought
it was the bolus amount that was wrong, but it was actually the basal that had
to be changed - so we may have to make an adjustment to her bedtime bolus
amount (when she eats her bedtime snack again). And of course, if she stays up
later, this doesn't work!!!!! I may have to give an extra snack or something.

Well, I hope this helps! I am not sure this will even work for Hannah for a
long time - just for now, I guess. She seems to always be changing and we are
forever changing the bolus rates and basals. Hopefully it will all come
together some day. It's an experimental game.

Oh also, I was blaming her high sugars the third day on her site too, but now
I am finally finding that her sugars are good on that third day and even into
a fourth day!!!! It's great!

Crystal. Mother to Hannah (7years old)