[IPp] We haven't been able to test basal rates!!

My 7 year old daughter has been on the pump since the end of January.  We
STILL haven't been able to test her basal rates, even at night.  First of all,
you have to have a decent reading to begin with that is at least 4 hours from
her last bolus.  Then, (say we are testing at night), you test her through the
night and chart trends.  Here is the problem, if you have a low you need to
treat it, which voids the test.   If you have a high you have to leave it
there to watch the trend.  Then, even if you manage to get through one night
of basal testing without giving her juice or a correction, you need to get a
few MORE basal testing nights to make sure you see a real trend.  We have
found this to be impossible.  I am still getting up every night to test her
and I really see no trends going on.
I am very frustrated about this.  We have some really good days and some
really lousy blood sugar days.  Sometimes on the third day of an infusion site
we blame the high levels on that, but sometimes we can't figure it out.
Just venting I guess, I wonder if anyone has any advice to help us with the
basal testing.
My daughter loves her pump, by the way, and though I am frustrated with it, I
never want to go back to injections.  Ellen