[IPp] Pumping at School - need to assess how he feels!

Hello everyone!  My son, Jesse, age 6, has had diabetes since age 3, and has
been pumping since February 22nd! (another date to log that really stinks
when you think about it.)  Thanks to parents who told me to stick with it for
two weeks and we would get through!  It was true and very worth it.

Here's my problem:  the school nurses at Jesse's school are supportive and
great.  A college student has been following Jesse's day at school for her
own benefit, but also the hope being that we could get something out of it as
well.  Today she called and said she wants to work on his self-esteem (which
I think is absolutely fine) and also work with him on his perception of how
the other kids think he is different, etc.  For example, when he is testing
in the nurse's office and another student walks in and asks what he is doing,
he will say he doesn't want to talk about it, leave me alone...  He has
recently started saying to me when I am talking to other adults about his
diabetes "oh, stop talking about that".

I am torn.  First, I don't think the students in his class pick on him (he
couldn't come up with one incident of being teased) and in fact I think they
all think he is very cool especially since getting that high-tech pump!  I
tell him to just answer the question by simply saying, "I go to the nurse to
test my blood sugar...it's my pump...I need it to get insulin."  He is very
popular at school.  The students look out for him when he is low (especially
when there is a substitute teacher).  I find that if it is talked about
matter-of-fact and the parents are educated to some degree, it goes just

So, does anyone think he possibly LIKES the power of telling other kids it's
none of their business and then all the adults say, "Yeah, leave him alone."
Do you see what I'm saying?  I don't think diabetes gives him any excuse to
be rude.  I think he is a well-adjusted kid that's liking a little bit of

Advice?  What about you guys at school?
Michelle Alswager