[IPp] Swimming and pumping

Hi, Karen!
My eight-year-old daughter has been on a swim team since age 5 and loves
it!  She swam on MDI pre-pump, but has been using the Disetronic H-Tron for
the past 3 years, and the pump makes swimming (and everything else) much
easier.  She practices 4-5 days a week year-round and still wants to spend
all day in the pool during the summer.  Sometimes she disconnects,
especially if she's low before her afterschool snack, but most times we
just clip it on the back of her suit and let her swim with her "jet
pack."  (We know they no longer consider the H-Tron to be waterproof, but
we have never had a water-related problem--however, we are looking forward
to switching to the very watertight Animas this month!) When she
disconnects for practice--or for part of a swim meet--we sometimes bolus
the amount she'd miss in her basal because even if she has great numbers
post-swim, she generally goes high a few hours later as a result of that
hour off the pump.

I can testify that her blood sugars, appetite, sleep habits, and general
disposition are vastly improved by this regular, rigorous exercise.  We can
really tell the difference when we take time off from swimming during
travel or holidays.

Anyway, we would be glad to correspond with your friend and her
daughter!  Annie turns 9 on May 1--maybe the girls could email each
other.  Please pass along our address.

Charlotte Holt
(mom to Annie Platt, age 8, dx'd at 3, pumping since age 5 and currently
5th place in South Carolina in the 8& Under age group for the 100 yard IM)