[IPp] re: saline start - why on a 5 yr old?

<<From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>
> re: Sarah's email:
> > Well, I just got word that the hospital can start my son on the
> Saline Start for the pump this Wednesday!  VERY short notice, but I
> am totally psyched!!! I was wondering if any of you out there could
> fill in me in on what to expect on Wednesday. What my week will be
> like on the Saline?
My guess is that it would be much more useful if you wore it instead
of Matthew. There's no reason to stick an infusion set in a 5 year
old that will not be running the pump anyway for a loooonnnngggg

I agree w/ Michael's summary - I'm not sure how many other parents
got their <7 year old kid to agree to a saline trial in which they
did all the pump stuff & still had to do their shots/eat all their
food/etc.  But I'm pretty sure that my then-6 yr. old son Luke would
NOT have been so persistent in staying with the pump if the first
week had not had any benefit for him with regard to eating how little
he wants (what a pleasure for him to turn food away!) or go off
schedule.  We didn't do a saline trial on people - we did have 2 weeks
to "play" with the pump, and his stuffed animals got several chances
to wear the pump & get saline injected in them.  Plus I got to be
the infusion set guinea pig (come to think of it, I still am) as
we practiced setting up.  It sounds like a good way to learn without
insulin but I'm not sure it's necessary on a young child.

Do You Yahoo!?