Re: [IPp] School was :Thanks for the welcome & more

Amen!  I agree with that....I had problems at the beginning of the school
year with my son and the school nurse. She felt he should test himself...at
age 4 at the time....yeah right!  So I started going in to test him
myself...but after discussing the problem with a social worker from the
Children's Hosp...she said no way..get a 504 plan, which I did.  Turned into
an IEP because my son also gets speech therapy at school....he has problems
with saying some words.  But I just found out that his medical plan was never
put into our IEP...so I am basically freaking out. I contacted a lawyer and
got some advice as to how to handle the situation.  They also told me that my
son could not go on field trips unless either me or the nurse could go
because no one else can carry his testing equipment and medical supplies. So
I also argued over that one, and it basically came down to either the school
getting a sub for the nurse so she could go or the school would have to find
someone who is trained and qualified to go in her place.  Because of them
being federally funded, they need to provide whatever my son needs because of
his health condition. Do they like it, NO WAY....I am sure they all hate me.
But too bad, my son comes first. My kids are all I have.
Sounds to me like you are really knowledgeable and that is great. I wish I
were from the start.  But learn as you go, I guess.
I agree that if they don't want to help you with the care and treatment of
our kids, then it is not worth it to make them. I would not want anyone
caring for my son that truly did not want to. But come on, that would make
them really heartless, dont ya think.  Maybe it is mother instict, to love
our kids, do whatever we can for them...I would always do what is best for a
child, mine or anyone elses.
I hope your upcoming school year is a success, we have enough on our plates
on a daily basis to have to deal with more problems.
Good Luck :)