RE: [IPp] Re: pop-digest V1 #46

Barb,
The crystallization can most definitely be seen in the cannula, if it is
occurring.  It appears to be clogged and looks like opaque inconsistent
lines.
Here was our problem... we had been on the pump for a year and our A1C's
went from a 6.9 on MDI to an 8.5 on the pump!  They kept telling me that
this was not uncommon, and due to our son Christopher having a lot of lows
on the shots, it was probably expected.  We tried three different infusion
sets, as the Endo and the CDE thought they were probably the source of the
problem since our numbers were so inconsistent.  Still, we would go through
the first day with good numbers (most of the time) but then the numbers
would be all over the place!  To correct a high, I would need to almost
double the amount of insulin on day two as I was using on day one.  That was
my first clue that something was not right.  It was a nightmare trying to
get basals and bolus ratios accurate.  We were not supposed to be changing
sites every day and a half but I had to in order to keep is BG levels in
some sort of good range.
So, I started to read about Novalog, I researched every article I could find
on it.  In one article, I read that Novalog did not cause the
crystallization that Humalog may cause in some cases.  I have also heard
that this clogging or crystallization occurs more frequently if you have
basals set at .1 or .2, that was not our case.  We set basals between .3 and
.5.  This was a disaster in the works if I did not demand to try Novalog, as
I believe I had already tried three different infusion sets.
After removing the infusion sets that contained Novalog, the cannulas have
been clear, no sign of clogging or crystallization.  We finally found
something that will consistently deliver insulin to Christopher's body!
And, we can go four days with Novalog, although I think I will keep it to
three due to the nerve damage claims.

Thanks,

Kelley L. Wright
Key Account Manager - Convenience Channel
281-759-8770 (office)
281-759-8773 (fax)
281-467-4371 (cell)