[IPp] good news and site length

I hope I'm not jinxing us by sharing our good news, but just wanted to
report to other parents who will understand and appreciate the facts...
Annie had her first check-up with her endo in over 6 months last week.
We're happy to report an A1c of 6.2 and a clean bill of health, paving the
way for her to attend Camp Coqui (Hendersonville, NC) for a second time
this summer.  At nearly 8 years old, Annie weighed in at 70 pounds and
measured 53 inches, keeping her in the 95th percentile for height, a trend
she's followed since birth.

We passed our two-year anniversary with the H-Tron Plus in March and are
more grateful for the pump technology every day.  We use the Tenders with
no inserter and often get 5-7 days from each set.  When I admitted that we
sometimes lose track and use a set for a week or more, the endo said "Why
not?" as long as it's working well and she shows no signs of hardening,
lumps or infection.  She currently uses 21-25 units of humalog every 24
hours, and she averages about 10 blood tests a day.  I know when puberty
sets in and her insulin needs increase, we probably won't be able to use
one site for that long, but for now we feel very fortunate to be able to
stretch them that far.

One more milestone:  We are also pleased to announce that Annie survived
her first slumber party at a friend's house last night.  I stopped by at
midnight to check her BG, and we let her run slightly high overnight so
that she didn't need her regular 3:00am check.  She had a great time, and
despite getting less than 6 hours of sleep, she had a very successful swim
meet this weekend, earning second place overall in her age group of 8 &
under.  [Once school gets out next month, daily swim practice will be
switched from 4:00pm to 7:30am for the summer.  I'm open to any suggestions
about how we should try to manage breakfast and bolusing with that kind of

I hope this bragging doesn't offend anyone.  I just want others, newbies
especially, to know that all your diligence and hard work with the pump can
grant your child a remarkably happy and healthy lifestyle.  And although
growing, changing children will never have the predictability and control a
pumping adult enjoys, the highs and lows can be caught and corrected
quickly and easily, and diabetes can finally take a back seat to other
aspects of your lives.

Until there's a cure,

Annie's pump-mama, Charlotte

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful!"