[IPp] Re: pop-Statistics

In a message dated 4/24/02 7:58:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> So in summary, we eat at the exact same time every day...all meals, all
> snacks, shots are right on time....and we test him on average 8 times a
> day.
> Plus, I am a nut on gathering information...so I have read and studied up
> on
> this disease, sometimes the doctors are amazed at how I can correct his
> sliding scale myself, but no one knows their kids better than we do...and
> no
> one loves them more.
> Sarah
> Mother of Matthew age 5

Sarah, you are doing everything right, but with some kids this just doesn't
work and its very frustrating then.  Claire could have the same insulin dose,
the same food and same activity for two days in a row (on injections) One
afternoon her bg could be 90, the next day it could be 360.  NPH had no
consistency whatsoever in her, somedays it wouldn't work, somedays it worked
and then the dosage was too much.  But the Regular was consistent and
predictable, which led me to find out and research pumps myself.  No doctor
ever suggested anything useful to me in 5 years of dealing with diabetes.  I
find they are only useful for writing prescriptions and ordering routine
blood work.  You certainly don't need a doctor to tell you about basal rates
or bolus ratios--you are the one observing your child and know best.

Barbara, Mum of Claire