Re: [IPp] POP Statistics?

In a message dated 4/23/2002 3:30:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I looked at your statistics on HgBA1C and identifying "best" and
>  "worst" levels will only give people, especially parents a feeling of guilt
>  and saddness if their child's A1C is in the 7.5 range.  That isn't a "bad"
>  level---especially for kids that are growing, ill over the winter etc.  You
>  need to be especially careful of the labels that you apply to statistics so
>  that you don't ruin your own message--that pumps are great and great for
>  kids.

In Michael's defense, the list with "best," "worst," etc. originated with me,
and you are right -- it would be more appropriate to use words like "highest"
 and "lowest" . . .

While we use the term "checking" and "high/low/in range" when talking about
my daughter's glucose levels on a day in day out basis (instead of more
"loaded" descriptors like "testing" or "bad/good"), I tend to view A1cs in a
a different light . . .

For *me*, while BG levels are just information that we use to make decisions
about day-to-day management of my daughter's diabetes, A1cs are *MY* "grade"
for how well I've done overall during the last quarter.  Even though, at 11,
Katie is capable of handling all of her diabetes management tasks, as her mom
I consider myself the person responsible overall for her diabetes care and
the A1c results are the most concrete, objective measurment of just how well
I've done concerning the medical side of diabetes management (I also "judge"
myself on how well I've done in other areas like educating Katie, managing
things so as to minimize the amount diabetes affects her quality of life,

But as to "guilt" arising from reporting A1c results (especially in this
case, when it's anonymous, aggregated data anyways), my feeling is that no
one else can make you feel guilty and, ultimately, it's really something you
do to yourself.

Everybody has different A1c goals for themselves or their child and, in the
end, what really matters is how "well" you do in relation to that individual
target range.  And if you understand and accept that certain A1c target range
is appropriate for your child and you're meeting that goal, why should you
feel badly because someone else has achieved their goal, even if their goal
is for a lower A1c range than what you have for your child . . .

If you're not meeting your A1c goals for your child, the only use I can see
for guilt is as a motivator to honestly assess the whys behind the A1c result
and determine what, if anything, is within your power to change for the
future.  There is so much about diabetes that is truly beyond our control,
why waste energy beating yourself up for things you can't do anything about
-- and if there ARE things you CAN do to improve control in the future why
not put energy into taking action instead of putting into guilt .  .  .

I'm not meaning to put you down for bringing up the idea of seeing other kids
A1c levels making people feeling guilty about their child's A1c levels -- I'm
just trying to make the point that being a parent of a child with diabetes is
hard enough, so why should any of us add to the burden we all already carry
by letting ourselves fall into a guilt trap .  .  .

I'll get off my soap box now .  .  .

Pumpmama to Katie