[IPp] Back-up strategies . . .

In a message dated 4/23/2002 3:17:57 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  I can't stress how
>  important it is to keep a bottle or at least a script of a long-lasting
>  insulin on hand in case something does happen to your pump-regardless of
>  what pump you are using!!!:O)

This is a smart thing to do.  For 24-48 hours, I'd just go with Regular &
Humalog so as not to have to muck around with residual action on a longer
acting insulin once we were "back on-line."  Personally, we keep a couple
bottles of Lantus on hand (never gonna use NPH again, no matter what!) --
However, the reason I do that has less to do with worry over a pump problem
that it does with being prepared for any natural or man-made disaster that
might interfere delivery of pump supplies, etc. for any extended period of
time.  After growing up in earthquake country and, especially after Spetember
11th, I try to always have a small stock pile of essentials on hand -- and in
my daughter's case "essentials" include pump supplies and plenty of insulin
(Humalog and Lantus) . . . Just my 2 cents . . .

Pumpmama to Katie