Re: [IPp] Swimming

We don't have a problem with the site staying on, in fact she changed sites
yesterday after swimming (and showering) and still had to pull to get it off.
Jessica uses a sticky tape under her site first, and then inserts on top of
that.  Maybe everyone does this?  I don't know.  OpSite IV 3000 is what I think
it's called.

Also, for a quick 13-15 carb "snack" (pure sugar, so it only works for a short
duration) we use Smartie packs or Neccos.  Both have about 13 - 15 carbs per
pack, are easy to carry, fast to eat and work quickly.  Of course some people
are opposed to candy, understandably so, but it's like medicine for Jessica, she
just doesn't crave the stuff at all.  For a longer acting fix, we use granola
bars.  Each one is about 15 carbs and has a good combination of carbs including
sugar, fats and proteins, so it lasts longer.  (Especially the peanut butter
ones).  Plus they are fairly low in saturated fat.

We have tried bolusing more or less for the meal right before swimming, and that
didn't work.  We tried decreasing her basal before, that was disastrous.  We
tried doing her numbers every half hour and that was only frustrating since you
could watch it go up or down, but almost could do nothing about it.  Seems every
time we bolus for a high it comes back to haunt us, and if we treat a low she
ends up high.  I love the fact that the exercise is wonderful for her and she
enjoys it, but hate what it does to her numbers.  I did read in a book once that
they recommend after an hour of being off the pump, you hook up again to give
yourself the basal (or a percentage of it) that you missed during that hour and
then have a small snack to keep your number in check.  We'll try that tomorrow -
she swims again after lunch.  I'll let you know how it goes.

-Barb