[IPp] New Mini Med pump

Hi Julie,
Everything that you were told was what I was told and have read.  Except the
battery will last 2 -3 weeks.  The reservoir only has a capacity pf 176 units
compared to 300 units.  The waterproof is for only 30minutes.  So my
interrupation is keep it on for showers but still must disconnect for
swimming. Yes, at the time of class you must give up your old pump to have
the new one..   As for supplies, I have spoke with mini- med customer service
and then informed me if its full boxes its not a problem, half boxes they
have not decided yet on what to do.  That was as of last week.
I like everything about th new one - except two things.  The battery thing, I
just plan to change it every week. Once a week like on Sunday morning or
something - to keep on a schedule.  Also I am not sure if the reservoir will
be enough for my son for four years.  He is 11 years old and takes about 35
units a day by the time you add an extra 20 units or so - we are already at
about 150 units.  My question is what does a typical boy age say 14 uses in
 insulin a day????? I can't compare girls I know that - one of his diabetic
nurses uses less than him already she is close to 30 years old.  BTW, my son
is very skinny and small for his age he just eats a lot.

Now I understand the new pump will be very easy to fill and get rid of
airbubbles.  That is a big plus to me.  I hate those little bubbles!!!!

In our area, we will not get the new pump till June and I think we have
through August to decide.  I think we are waiting till August.  As my son and
my husband will go overseas for a month in July and we don't want any
problems of having to adjust to a new pump.  Has anyone who uses a pump had
it on an airplane for a 15 hour trip - any problems with altitiude or

Thanks, Sherry (Son - Adam 11 years old DX 8/2000)

>>I went to a meeting on the new pump by mini med and I am curious if anyone
has heard about the following:

1.  The new pump uses a double A Battery and will only last about 1 week.
Also when the alarm goes off for a low battery you really won't know how
much battery you have left because its not Mini-meds.

2.  The pump is waterproof but only for 1/2 hour at a time.

3.  The reservoir is smaller and for some people will mean changing the site
every 2 days.

4.  I was surprised to see that the pump is really not much smaller and has
no clip on it so you have to carry it in a case that looks like a beeper
holder.  Which when you put this on the pump to me it almost appeared

5.  We were told that we will have to give up our 508 right at the time of
the class teaching us about the paradigm.  Most likely Mini-med will not
replace all of the supplies we have in stock.

6.  Also the clock that appears all the time on the 508 is not present
unless you go to one of the screens.

Does anyone have the new pump and maybe comment on some of these things.  We
are trying to gather as much info as we can so we make the right decision.
At first I was really looking forward to it but now I am thinking that maybe
I like the 508 better.?