[IPp] Re: preschool problem

Well, since I posted I spoke with the head master and the teacher.
Apparently they are concerned about a liability issue.  Which I understand
but for goodness sake she is only there 2 1/2 hours and her sugars are
checked when she is dropped off, after 1 1/2 hours before snack and I check
her when I pick her up.  So it is not like she's going any real extended
amount of time without a finger stick.

When I spoke with the headmaster I told him that I understood the need for
them to feel that she is safe and that they are comfortable with the
situation.  I also told them I appreciated the fact that they have been
accommodating with all aspects of Shannon's enrollment.  They have complied
with everything.  I told them I had 2 problems with the situation at hand.
First that they had apparently discussed this previously without me and came
to a decision and thus sprung this decision on me at 7:45 in the morning
without offering me any alternative options except to keep her home from
school that day since my schedule was not permitting me to stay.  I also said
that I did not think that it was beneficial for Shannon to have me in the
classroom all day (OK only 2 1/2 hours ;0) )I really think that it sends her
the wrong message about her diabetes care. They seemed to understand.  But
they really want me on school grounds on the days when the nurse and the
substitute nurse are not there.

They seemed to understand my points.  I don't know that anything was really
resolved.  Granted there is usually a substitute nurse present so the chances
of this occurring are small.  But obviously this needs to be addressed.  We
are actually meeting with the teacher on Tuesday for her parent/teacher
conference.  Also there is only 2 months left in the school year and there is
a good chance that she will be in the public preschool program next year so I
don't know how much I should rock the boat on this.  Oh what to do.  I don't
want to make a mountain out of a mole hill but at the same time if she does
not get into the public preschool next year I will be dealing with them all
next year.  I guess then I could put a more rigid set of rules in place.  I
don't know if a 504 is applicable in preschool.  Anyone else know?  I also
believe that even though it is a private school someone told me once that in
New Jersey (where we live) that some private school nurses are actually paid
by the state.  Which to me then would kind of change things because then
wouldn't that mean that the school is receiving government assistance and
then must comply with the state laws about what is mandatory for diabetic
care?  I know in New Jersey there was a special protocol set forth
specifically for the care of diabetic children in public schools.  I guess I
really need to do some more research instead of just asking all these
questions.  Sorry for all the blabbing!  :0) Thanks for listening!

Tammy, wife to David
Mom to Shannon, 4, dx'd 2/99, pumping 3/01
& Kaitlyn 1 1/2 and running wild!