Re: [IPp] preschool problem

> I'm trying not to blow this out of proportion so am turning to you
> guys to let me know if I should be upset about this.  I am rather
> upset right now but not sure if it warrants.
> My DD has been attending a private Christian preschool which is part
> of a regular Christian school for children kindergarten thru 8th
> grade.  One of the primary reasons for us sending her here is
> because they have a full time nurse.  From the very beginning they
> have been open and accommodating on all aspects of Shannon's care.
> The nurse, Shannon's teacher and the teacher's aide all went on
> their own time to attend a private pump class at my endo's office --
>  willingly...without any pressure.  The nurse and I have worked out
> a contact system that has been working quite well...with only a few
> bump along the way.
> Anyway the reason for my distress this morning is at 7:45am I
> received a call from Shannon's teacher informing me that the nurse
> was out sick today and that she and the head master had decided last
> week that from now on when the nurse was out sick I would have to
> come and stay the day in the classroom.  Needless to say at 7:45 am
> I was speechless.  I have a previous commitment today and cannot do
> this, so based on these new restrictions Shannon cannot attend
> school today.  I am stunned and don't know how to handle this.  The
> school has been wonderful up to this point, very accommodating and
> willing to discuss and work things out.  But I feel that having me
> stay in the room is not fair, not only to me and my 20 month old
> daughter who would have to also go to school with me, but to
> Shannon.  I think it sends a negative message to her.
> Any thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated.  Hoping to
> hear from you too Michael! :0)

I'm neither a lawyer or an expert on the law so take my comments for
what they're worth. Since the school does not receive federal funds
they are not subject to the same set of rules as public schools.

I believe that they American's with Disabilities Act prohibits them
from not accepting your child as a pupil at their school. However,
they are not required to provide care for her.

That aside, if you have a prior agreement with them either oral or
written, then they are bound by that agreement. Unfortunately, the
only relief you can seek is legal redress for both the ADA complaint
or violation of your previous agreement. Their argument will be that
they do not wish to be liable for anything that might happen to your
child if she should have a medical emergency.

Some negotiation may settle the matter easily, otherwise your choices
are pretty hard. Doing as they have asked, removing your child from
the school or getting a lawyer and going after them on the ADA and
breach of promise issues.