Re: [IPp] basals

>  I would like him to set a temp. basal, or even
> suspend his pump, but he "forgets".  How have any of you dealt with
> this?  Sometimes I think his "forgetting" or just not doing anything
> is kind of his way to pretend he doesn't have diabetes.  I can't
> take it away, and I don't want to make it more of a pain for him,
> but there is some work involved.  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.
Hi Jocelyn,

Kids tend to forget at this age. Be patient, work with him, make
suggestions and push him to accept more responsibility for his own
care. This means you will have to back off, be quiet and bite your
tongue sometimes, but it will pay off in the long run with a more
responsible thoughtful young man. There will be setbacks and times
when he disappoints you with his thoughtlessness, but it is part of
growing up.

Michael (dad to 3 teens and 2 - 12yo's)