Re: [IPm] news on medscape: subcutaneous glucagon use for mi

Michael:

Mini-dose glucagon is very useful. I've been using it in practice since
1996-97. I was advised of it's usefullness by my colleagues in Texas who
did the formal study. I've used it countless times and it works
fantastically in the situations you describe. We've been using a
"mega-dose" of glucagon for almost 40 years now, primarily to treat
severe hypoglycmeia. Lower doses are useful to raise blood sugar levels
in children who have milder hypoglycemia (not having a seizure or
impairment in consicousness) and it often has the added benefit of
improving the toddler's willingness to take in oral carbs. I  now use it
as part of my routine management of these sorts of situations. It often
may prevent a trip to the ER as well!

Steve Ponder MD, CDE