[IPm] E-News 3/6/2000

A panel convened by the American Diabetes Association and
the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a statement that
will be published in Diabetes Care in March on the rise of type
2 diabetes in children.

What was rare 10 years ago now has about 300,000 patients.
They recommend testing overweight children (some as young
as 4) every two years if two of these risk factors are present.
Family History of diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood
pressure, and "minority race or ethnicity".

The treatment is like that for adults - oral agents and diet,
not insulin.

Dr. Joe, the Diabetes Doctor

Visit our web site at http://www.diabeteswell.com