RE: [IPm] Got this question anyone have any ideas?

Steven,

At this time there is no published evidence of which I am aware
suggesting that dioxins or PCB's are responsible for causing type 1
diabetes. The incidence of type 1 diabetes is certainly rising but, at
this time, nobody seems to have a very good explanation.

As for type 2 diabetes, it is believed that the tremendous rise in the
incidence (from about 1% of the population in the 1960's to about 7% of
the population today) is related to the rise in the prevalence of
obesity which, in turn, is related to the rise in the average daily
intake of fat and carbohydrates and the ever more sedentary lifestyle
led by Americans.

But, as time goes by, we'll undoubtedly learn more and more about the
causes of diabetes. It was certainly a very hot topic at the Scientific
Meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Francisco last week
as well as the meeting of the Endocrine Society immediately afterward.

I wish there were more to tell you.

Robert F. Monoson, M.D.

Medical Director

Animas Corporation