Re: [IPm] question of insulin pump and VP shunt

Dear Janet:

    I am a pediatric anesthesiologist and also an insulin pump diabetic X8
years.  While I can speak at length about the anesthetic ramifications of
your question, I suspect that was not the intent.  Since I have no personal
experience with this, my advice would be to speak to a pediatric
diabetologist directly about the problems of using an insulin pump in a young
child with a VP shunt. However, this is what immediately came to my mind:

1.  If your child's behavior is unusual or obtunded it could be either
hypoglycemia or a blocked shunt with raised intracranial pressure.  The first
is easily treated with glucose, the second is a surgical emergency.
2.  If your child develops an infection at the injection site, the VP site
could be secondarily infected.

Good luck!

John Pullerits, MD
send the next two lines in a message