Re: [IPm] Fwd: [IP] kidney function tests

The units were not included for any of the numbers, but the gist of this message is
that her creatinine clearance is alright and presumably her serum creatinine as
well (the 0.8 number). Her kidney function is therefore ok now. I assume that she
had a microalbumin measure done on a urine sample (a timed collection, hence the
reference to the amount). I can't tell what the 56% is about and the discrepancy to
which she refers. Even if the study is abnormal, it would need to be repeated prior
to any management. Microalbumin is measured in urine as an early warning for the
presence of early (perhaps reversible) renal damage from diabetes. This assessment
should be performed yearly (as with retinal exams) if you've had diabetes for five
years or at diagnosis if you have type 2 diabetes. If present, optimal control
(with a pump, of course!) and use of ACE inhibitors is the therapy of choice. The
bottom line is that she needs to ask the doctor to explain this better. It is not
foolish for her to be embarrased by asking for clarification. It is her right to
understand her medical tests and what they mean. If the physician is unwilling to
do so (hopefully not), then she needs to get another one! Good luck!

Steve Ponder MD, CDE