Re: [IPm] [Fwd: Pump occlusion]

In the "old days", there were numerous occlusions in pump tubing due to
crystalization of insulin in the tubing. I've yet to see this occur with
Humalog, but I suppose Regular would do it. Humulin BR (no longer available)
was a buffered regular insulin that seemed to alleviate this problem.
Velosulin is also buffered regular and should reduce the likelihood of this
happening. The tubing sometimes gets flexed to the point it appears cloudy and
that may give the illusion of opaque material inside. If this is happening
after exposure to excessive warmth or heat, then I suppose the insulin could
be coagulating (denaturing) and precipitating in the tubing. Your action is
quite appropraite to change out the set. You might consider changing out
sooner if this occurs near the end or latter half of a reservoir, or load only
150 units instead of 300. Since these details were not provided, I wasn't sure
if they applied to your situation. Good luck.

Steve Ponder MD, CDE
Pediatric Endocrinology

Michael Weiss wrote:

> Subject: Pump occlusion
> Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:59:43 -0500
> From: Michael Weiss <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> I am the father of a wonderful 11 y.o. boy dx'd with IDDM 9/98 and
> pumping since 4/99. We have found the pump to have a steep learning
> curve well worth the effort.
> Periodically, my son's sugars go up and when we check the tubing there
> is cloudy debris at the junction of the reservoir and the tubing. I have
> sent the tubing to Minimed to analyze. No word yet on their findings.
> Has anyone else experienced this type of problem. Please let me know.
> Thank you all for your courage.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted