Re: [IP] Viruses and Malware

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Clint Randolph <email @ redacted>wrote:

>  In spite of several layers of protection I was still getting infections. I
> recently got a package called stopzilla and now now more issues
> Clint

Stopzilla is an OK product, but be sure that you do not install only the
AntiSpyware but the AntiVirus also.  As to it's being more effective than
"several layers of protection", having NO protection at all would be better
than "several layers of protection"  Multiple AV-AS systems only conflict
with each other and allow the bad guys to sneak in the back door.  45% of
the virus removals I do is because of that.  Stopzilla is no better
than Kaspersky, McAfee, MSSE, Norton/Symantec, Nod32, TMI, AVG, Avira, Avast
ad nauseam.

Resending the emails with the intact links just makes it more likely someone
> else will get infected

True, that is why I have altered the address, HOWEVER

friends_links.php?bisiteid=16h3<http://www.mfi.es/html/friends_links.php?bisiteid=16h3>

> Please do not click on the links in these types of emails.  It will
> only cause you to become infected.
>
> Members who have found that they have sent out one of these emails
> need to disinfect their computers.  We will be unsubscribing anyone
> who is infected until your system is cleaned by using an antivirus
> software or a malware remover such as Malwarebytes. Please make sure
> your antivirus signatures are up to date.  Just because your new
> computer came with Norton or McAfee does not mean you are safe unless
> you subscribed to the updates after your trial period.  There are
> also many free antivirus options out there such as Avast and AVG, etc.

The only thing that will occur if you click the Link in the original (or an
exact copy of the original) is that the people, that run the Botnet, that
created the infection, that is now on the members computer, that is sending
out the email -- will earn the operators of the Botnet about 2 cents for
each person that clicks that Link.  It only leads to a Pharmacy site in
Canada who may (or may not) be aware of the people creating the redirects in
the Link. Two cents may not seem like a lot of money but when you multiply
it by the hundreds of emails sent daily by each infected Bot members
(without their knowledge, of course) and multiply that by the thousands of
infected computers in the Botnet.......

Granted, those members need to have their email privileges revoked until
they clean their system.  A scan by Malwarebytes ~may~ clean it.  Your
existing AntiVirus/AntiSpyware will probably not be able to do anything nor
will any attempt to install a new one (typically) as AV-AS systems will be
disabled or defeated in downloading.  Or there could possibly be a Rootkit
virus that ~may~ be removed by certain tools, which in the hands of an
untrained person is sort of like removing a microscopic sized tumor with a
Samurai Sword, or you can get a professional to do if with minimal risk to
your OS and data.  Self surgery or professional virus removal, I know what I
would opt for.  Nurse, hand me a scalpel!  :-)

--
George
don't get sick and if you do, die quickly