Re: [IP] Insulin pump differeces

On 5/16/2011 11:36 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> 1. Many people make a big deal about Minimed pumps not being waterproof.
> I don't know about everyone on the group but, couldn't you just
> disconnect when your in the water? I take my pump off when I shower and
> I don't have any serious problems.

I also disconnect for bathing, but I also camp and once in a great
while, canoe or boat.  It's too easy to destroy electronics by immersing
them in water and pumps are expensive, just as Dexcom receivers and
high-end cell phones are.  Better safe than sorry, IMHO.  And there's
always the possibility that a person with D, standing innocently at the
side of a swimming pool, pump discreetly concealed beneath their
clothing, will get tossed in as a joke.

> 2. Is it really that important that your pump reminds you of the last
> time you changed your infusion set? I change mine every 3 days.

I change my cartridge and cannula every 3 days at the same time because
my cartridge usually runs out in 70-75 hours.  Other people might not be
fortunate enough to be in sync like that and might actually need a reminder.

Denise B.