[IP] symlin

I don't use the square wave with symlin because I don't want to go low. I
give the 1/2-3/4 dose of insulin and then the symlin. There is no rise in BG
for two hours. If I have any more insulin working (square or dual wave) I go
low. Then at 2 hours (on the clock really) I give the rest of the insulin. I
have only been doing this five weeks now so I think I have much to learn. It
is possible that the square wave will work. I just don't want to go low
after a meal and have to eat more. I have only had a little nausea and only
when I go to a higher level of symlin. I am wondering now if I should go up
to the 60 mcg, but haven't tried it yet. 45mcg seems to work for me. I do
think you need the CGMS to use it because you need to see how it is
affecting the BG's. I did lose 5 lbs which I long wanted to lose so I am
happy about that. It is a bit of a pain giving shots after being on the pump
8 years, but it is not awful with the pen. The insulin and symlin cannot be
mixed at the present time because the different ph will cause the insulin to
clog up in the tubing.

Maureen Helinski