Re: [IP] Symlin

 Hi Denise: I take Symlin, but not necessarily with every meal. I won't take it
ever if my sugar is below 80, even if I have no insulin on board. I also won't
take it if I have more than 4 units on board, unless my sugar is in the 200s.
Nor will I take it before a meal I want to enjoy.

 Symin works great for me, but I had to figure out how to use it and avoid those
dastardly hard-to-treat lows. I also had to give up any semblance of enjoying
food. It knocks out my appetite, basically by causing a low-grade nausea and an
all around aversion to eating.

 On the other hand, my A1cs and standard deviations are now stellar, no spikes,
and I've lost and kept off those 25 lbs I needed to get rid of. Gone also are my
late night eating binges.

Its a tough drug to manage.  YMMV.

Buster in MD

On May 2, 2011, at 11:44 AM, Denise Bricher wrote:

 > I was on Symlin for about 3 years, then changed endos. My 'new' doctor
decided that it was making my life miserable with tons of ups and downs and took
me off. I wanted to restart it last summer, so got him to (reluctantly) agree.
After awhile, it seemed to me that it was doing me some serious harm, so I quit
using it again.

 > Now...my monitor shows consistently that I have a huge spike in the morning
after breakfast, so I tried the lowest dosage (the 15) this a.m. and so far, am
now seeing the 50-100 point jump in BG. In fact, I have a flat line on the Dex
with a little bit of nausea.

 > Has anybody tried taking Symlin with just one meal? I am planning to skip
taking it with lunch and dinner today and just do 15 again tomorrow morning.